Monday, April 9, 2007

Digression: Warrior Frogs

Still waiting for the RSM95 figures to arrive. But in the meantime, I had a few minutes last night, so I decided to get out a couple of the Warrior Frogs that I received from Greg Horne (Thanks, Greg!) and try my hand at them. First try at painting figures with acrylics and real brushes (I used model enamels with toothpicks on the few figures painted in the teen years). It's also my first time trying to paint metal figures. With the exception of two souvenir Highlanders brought back from Scotland by a friend, I've never owned any metal figures before.

The frogs seem fun, and should give me a less than critical item upon which to develop my skills. They also remind me of the Wind in the Willows, and the Battle of Toad Hall, from my days of childhood.

Check my other blog (http://www.snickeringcorpses.com) for a photo of the first pair in progress.

3 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

They really ARE frogs! And nice looking ones too. I mistakenly thought your were referring to French Napoleonic miniatures produced by Warrior, a Scottish company! The jokes on me, I guess. Still, good looking figures.

Once your RSM95 fgures arrive, you be in "hog (not frog) heaven". They really are a treat to basecoat and paint. Best of all, RSMs aren't loaded down with all kinds of extra equipment like canteens, extra pouches, or haversacks, so one can finish painting them much more rapidly than other brands. You'll enjoy your RSMs immensely.

Please share some early photos of your troops in formation (yes, even in their unpainted state) when they arrive. Then we too can enjoy your new acquisitions (vicariously speaking that is).

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz
(The Grand Duchy of Stollen)

Bluebear Jeff said...

Frogs with pikes yet . . . wow! One thing that I noticed though is that it looked like you just painted right on the metal.

Metal figures (particularly those that are going to be used on the tabletop) need to be primed as well.

The priming coat creates a surface that regular paint adheres easily to. Without priming, small patches of paint can "flake off" in play.

There is an endless debate on whether it is better to use black or white priming coats (either works), but the bottom line is that you should use a primer.

Good luck with your RSMs when they arrive. I'll echo Stokes comments on their ease of painting compared to many "fussier" miniatures.


-- Jeff

Snickering Corpses said...

Jeff is right of course about the priming. I didn't prime them, but only because I simply wanted something to test out painting on, as I'd never painted with acrylics before, so their paint job is somewhat disposable to me. Once I've gained some more confidence, I suspect I'm going to go back and strip the paint and choose a fancier paint scheme for them.